Riverview Education Foundation Concludes Record Year of Giving
to the Riverview School District
by Michael Ward
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014, the Riverview Education Foundation (REF) presented its latest grant awards to the Riverview School District. Over the course of REF's 2013 fiscal year, 39 grants were awarded, totaling $54,169.20. With the Foundation's previous funding of a District Initiative grant of $15,000 in March 2013, REF awarded Riverview schools $69,169.20, the most money ever awarded by the Foundation during its fiscal year. REF grants provide funding for a wide assortment of programs, materials and equipment that enhance the educational opportunities of students in Riverview schools.
Some of this year's grants include:
- New and supplemental equipment for Cedarcrest's Physical Education programs;
- iPads and Surface tablets for special education and integrated classroom use;
- Playground equipment for Eagle Rock Multi-Age Program;
- Band instruments and uniforms for middle school and high school music programs;
- Aquaponics and DNA testing equipment for Cedarcrest High School's science classes;
- Trade books and listening and reading centers for elementary school students;
- Wireless microphones for the performing arts; and,
- Interactive assessment tools for Tolt Middle School.
The Riverview Education Foundation is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the education of Riverview students. REF grants are funded entirely by donations and from money raised at special events, and all proceeds benefit Riverview schools.
In addition, REF will also be holding its annual RunDuvall race event featuring The Irwin Group Half-Marathon, 5K run, 10K run, and IIRG Physical Therapy Kids Dashes on Sunday, June 1, 2014. All proceeds from these runs will benefit REF Health and Wellness grants for the coming year. To register for the RunDuvall Race Weekend and for more information, visit www.runduvall.org.
On March 1, 2014, REF's annual "An Evening for Education Dinner Auction", presented this year by Dr. Matthew Bruner and Duvall Orthodontics, will take place at The Marriott Redmond Town Center in Redmond, Washington for a second consecutive year
REF will also hold its 16th annual Golf Classic and their 5th annual "Answer the Call" Phone-A-Thon in the fall of 2014.
The Foundation extends its warmest thanks to all the businesses, community members, teachers, students, parents, school district staff and school board members whose generosity and dedication makes these grants possible. For a full listing of this year's grants, Foundation events and news, and to find out how you can help support Riverview schools, visit www.REFweb.org.