Riverview School District 2016-17
Nomination Notification for Highly Capable Services
The Riverview School District will be accepting nominations for Highly Capable Services for the 2017-18 school year between November 21 - December 16.
All first grade students will be screened in January, 2017 to determine eligibility for further assessment for Highly Capable services in 2017-18. As such, there is no need to nominate current first graders. If you would like to “Opt Out” of this screening, please complete and return an Opt Out form to your child’s school.
(Opt Out forms will be available in school offices after Thanksgiving break).
Students in grades Kindergarten and First Grade receive differentiated services based on district level assessments. For students who will be in grades 3-12 in the 2017-18 school year, nomination forms will be available in school offices beginning Monday, November 21. Nomination forms need to be returned to the school office or to Mary Jacobson, Highly Capable Program Assistant, at Carnation Elementary by December 16.
Late nomination forms will not be considered and outside assessments are not considered at any time in the nomination or selection process. Students who meet screening eligibility will be invited to additional testing in February.
Our district seeks to identify and provide a continuum of services to meet the needs of students who possess the following:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
- Ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength;
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus.
For additional information, please contact Mary Jacobson, HiCap Program Assistant, at 425-844-4529 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.